Not yet released
Adds Akaviri-themed clothing and light armor hakamas in multiple colors for Skyrim Special Edition, based on mod created by atomec, author of “Blades Hakama” for original Skyrim.
The Blades carry a hakama for training, or to use as an alternative to their cumbruos (heavy armor). The yoroi (armored) hakama includes leather and steel chain inserted inside the cloth. Sword training includes use of a bokken. Find the gear in Sky Haven Temple, within a lost sack in Riverwood, or craft new gear at a forge.
- includes both cloth-only and light armor (yoroi) versions
- convert cloth gear to light armor at forge
- Esbern Sky Haven Temple outfit replacer
- Frostfall-aware default warmth and coverage (Frostfall optional)
- Survival Mode default warmth values set
- colors: black, indigo, gray, scarlet, Dark Brotherhood
- training bokkens, one-hand or two-hand, in two color
- (PC) body-fit options: UNP(B), UNP-Skinny, CBBE (SE) in slim or curvy – alternate may be installed for a follower of different body shape
Backup your save-game in case you wish to remove this plugin.
On PC from Nexus, use your mod manager (NMM) and select your options using the FOMod installer. PC installation offers the choice of selecting a follower-specific body fit if you follower uses a different body shape than player character. These follower items will be marked by “(F)” after the name of the item.
(Xbox) If using “Blades Hakama UNP” then I recommend choosing one to avoid conflict.
(PC) Upgrading from original “Blades Hakama” mod: If you have “Blades Hakama” by atomec then remove the content (including loose files) before installing this mod. After installing, change the name of the two files in your Data folder to “Blades Hakama.esp” and “Blades Hakama.bsa” (remove the “ SE” part). Your gear will become cloth which you may use a forge to make light armor again. You’ll find the original loose files in Data\meshes\armor\atomec\blades\ and Data\Textures\armor\atomec\blades\ folders. For best results, please delete these files, or remove with your mod manager, before installing this plugin.
Load order and compatibility
Edits include one outdoor location in Riverwood and three interior locations: Sky Haven Temple, Fort Dawnguard, and Castle Volkihar. Consider loading Blades Hakama.esp before (above) lighting mods such as ELFX, RLO, or RLS. If using another Esbern outfit replacer, load the one you like best later.
I’ve verified sack placement with “JK’s Riverwood” by JKrojmal for compatibility. Items from “Blades Samurai Armour and Kimonos” by 0Prime0 on Sky Haven Temple armory table should work well with bokken placements, although precise positioning may vary between games.
Crafting and Colors
At a forge, the light armor is found under the Leather category and the un-armored cloth gear under Misc. Bokken comes under Wood category. The hakamas and hats require Folded Cloth in the color you wish to create. You’ll find black folded cloth in Sky Haven Temple and the lost sack. Purchase more cloth in a variety of colors at Bits and Pieces, or craft your own at a tanning rack.
Review the Hakama Notes journal for a list of items available to craft and their required components. Search for the lost sack to obtain these notes.
Black, Scarlet, Gray, Indigo
Crafting new Folded Cloth requires a smithing skill of at least 40 and having the Hakama Notes journal within inventory. Blades Dye in the color of choice may be created at a Cooking Pot. (Remember to clean your cooking pot before preparing your next stew.) Once you have your dye and linen wraps, create folded cloth at a tanning rack.
Unique Hakama Gear
Included for discovery, unique enchanted hakamas tailored for factions.
How to get your mage follower to wear cloth hakama
Mages wearing default robes will exchange for new un-armored clothing if the gold value is high enough. This may mean adding enchantments. For example, Brelyna Maryon, will replace her mage hood for a Blades Shihan Hat if the hat exceeds 500 gold in value. She’ll wear a Blades Hakama if the hakama exceeds 1020 gold. Remember, only a limited number of enchantments actually benefit the follower. Choose health, stamina, or magicka enchantments.
You may also track down the unique hakamas and gift one of those expensive items to your follower.
To help make this easier on the PC, I’ve included optional follower style (marked by (F) in name) hakamas with larger gold values. You’ll still need to enchant the hakama, though. Even if your follower uses the same body shape as player character, choose the installation option to include the alternate follower style.
(PC) Options: Female Body Shape
Using the FOMod installer, select the body shape that matches your character, or the shape your follower uses if different. Selecting an alternate shape for your follower allows the crafting of hakama marked by (F) at the end of the name to give to your follower.
Character Body: Default, UNP Pinup, UNP Skinny, UNPB, CBBE Slim, CBBE Curvy Follower Body: Bijin UNP and CBBE, UNP(B) (including Sassy Teen Girls), CBBE
(PC) Options: Blade-side-up belt style
If you’d like your katana in belt with blade-side-up style, see my post “XPMSSE - Modify Weapon Positions” for details.
Other Akaviri-related mods (PC)
Some hairstyles may protrude through non-hooded hat. Wear hooded hat, or pretend that voluminous ponytale pokes through a cut-out opening in hat.
Esbern outfit replacer: If plugin added after reaching Sky Haven Temple, Esbern continues to wear his normal outfit.
(PC) Using CBBE classic body for original Skyrim results in arm gaps. Please use CBBE for Skyrim SE.
Updates from original “Blades Hakama” v1.6
- Replaced Sky Haven Temple armory chest and Bits and Pieces merchent chest loot with script to add on init for improved compatibility.
- Long hair protruding through Hooded Hat.
- Mesh adjustment on hakamavar_female (topless) CBBE. Hip was protruding with some custom idle replacers.
- Meshes for hakama_female reworked for improved fit and more natural look on UNP, CBBE bodies. Formally was one-size-fits all.
- Moved sack for easier activation and compatible with town mods.
- Edited waterflow in Riverwood cell to match Update.esm.
- Fixed boots to cover calves.
- Moved (and renamed) sack for compatibility with “JK’s Riverwood” mod.
- Meshes converted and optimized for Skyrim SE using SE Nif Optimizer.
- Added clothing pick-up/drop sounds to hakamas.
- Added adjusted female meshes to fit more body styles.
- Combined light armor and cloth-only variants in single plugin. Cloth-only gear may be upgraded to armored at a forge.
- Adjusted armor and gold values higher similar to forsworn and standard leather armor.
- Moved armored gear crafting category to Leather to better diferentiate with cloth-only under Misc at forge.
- Set Frostfall-aware armor/clothing default warmth and coverage (Frostfall not required).
- New colors (5) re-textured based on original textures with added crafting recipes.
- Added colored Folded Cloth.
- Added Folded Cloth crafting with crafted dyes for colors.
- Updated Handwritten Note to journal, “Hakama Notes” with crafting notes to show both cloth-only and armored items and Folded Cloth.
- Added unique Vampire Hakama and Dawnguard Hakama gear with unique color textures. Positioned in game world out in the open.
- Added Blades Bokken for one-hand or two-hand wielding in color choices of white oak or red oak. Model from “Bokken” by KiriKaeshi at http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3331/
- Added two bokkens to Sky Haven Temple armory.
- Added craftable finishing oil for bokken crafting and tempering.
- More optional body support added for UNPB, UNP Skinny, CBBE Curvy.
- Updated male boot meshes to avoid leg protruding on SoS, Better Males.
- Changed armored boots to re-color of Redguard boots to differentiate from cloth boots.
- Changed armored gloves to re-color of Blades gauntlets to differentiate and look like armor. Increased armor rating.
- Removed 1st-person body references for compatibility with “Joy of Perspective.”
- Added optional alternate hakamas, marked by (F) in name, to support followers with different body shape than player character.
- Packed into BSA.
- FOMOD with screen shots and descriptions to help player pick optional body shapes for player character and follower.
- atomec for original “Blades Hakama”
- KiriKaeshi for wood bokken model and texture from “Bokken”
- Chesko for Frostfall “Armor Compatibility” guide
- Odem for dye-crafting idea used in “Odem’s Onihime Katana”
- corwin for Nifskope, Niftools
- Ousnius for SSE Nif Optimizer and Body Slide / Outfit Studio
- Caliente, Jeir, and Ousnius for the CBBE body and Body Slide / Outfit Studio
- Dimon99 for the UNP body
- Bethesda Softworks for Skyrim Special Edition and Creation Kit 64-bit
Tools used: Adobe Photoshop, Gimp 2, Nifskope, SSE Nif Optimizer, Creation Kit 64-bit, BodySlide, Outfit Studio, Notepad++
Screen captures include other mods: Enhanced Lighting and FX (ELFX) by anamorfus, “Odem’s Onihime Katana” by Odem, Mature Skin by Maeven, Superior Lore Friendly Hair by skyrimmagus, Beards and Brows by Hvergelmir, and The Eyes of Beauty by Gabriel Mailhot.
Assets free to use with credit. Includes content from atomec, KiriKaeshi, Dimon99, and Caliente on Nexus. My added forms within the plugin are prefixed with “DTBH” and my textures are organized in folders.
For content from original “Blades Hakama” please note:
“When using the plugin or parts of it for projects that are published I ask for a reference to me as the author of ‘Blades Hakama’” -atomec
Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, and The Elder Scrolls are trademarks of Bethesda Softworks LLC. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.